Restoration of the early 19th century chamber organ at the Museum of Welsh Life, St Fagans (formerly at Llanfihangel Yng Ngwynfa)
This organ is so similar in style to others by James Bruce of Edinburgh (e.g. John Barnes's), that it must be by him (see Alan Buchan's article in BIOS Journal 21). There is what looks like a <JB> monogram on the f³ key, and possibly on the bass pallet. The organ would date from around 1830.
It may be that it was moved to Llanfihangel by Jardine (whose label is glued to a back panel). Whiteley last maintained the organ and rebuilt it, probably about fifty years ago. They removed the swell box, with its pipes and keys, added the octave coupler, a Gamba and its upperboard at the back, the plastic stop knobs and re-leathered the pallets about 1950.
The chapel in which
the organ spent the last part of its life became redundant in the 1970s
and lost its roof. The organ started to fall apart with dampness. In
1987 the organ was offered to the Museum of Welsh Life, and in 1997
it was restored by James Collier of Martin Goetze & Dominic Gwynn.
It is now in the Museum of Welsh Life at St Fagans near Cardiff.