The 1684 case was constructed in a way that meant it could only be re-assembled completely on site, with some of the mouldings added after assembly of the panel frames, etc. It had also been nailed and patched over the centuries to such an extent that almost every joint and edge had had to be strengthened and neatened with new wood. The original cases were made of pine. Fortunately the whole case had been painted repeatedly. It now has the colour of the 1705 casework, applied by Charles and Liz Marsden, here being touched up by Nick.