Tagged: Featured

  • St Patrick’s, Soho Square Restoration of 1793 Robert & William Gray Organ

    St Patrick’s church was probably the first Roman Catholic church to be built after the Reformation which was not a private chapel. It was provided partly for the Irish labourers building the ‘New Road’ (i.e. Euston Road and Marylebone Road). Because Roman Catholic worship was still illegal and could not make a public display, the …

  • Odiham, All Saints Church Hampshire New Church Organ

    This new organ was first used at a service of dedication on Sunday September 25th 2011. It is based on early 18th century English organs, mainly the Bernard Smith organs at St Mary Finedon in Northamptonshire and Great St Mary’s in Cambridge, and the Gerard Smith organ at St Lawrence Whitchurch in Middlesex.

  • St Swithun, Worcester, Restoration of the 1795 Robert and William Gray/ 1845 John Nicholson Organ

    This organ was restored in 2009-10 for the Churches Conservation Trust (in whom the church is vested) and the Friends of St Swithuns (who raised the funds and now encourage the activities associated with the organ). A single manual organ was built by the brothers Robert and William Gray (according to an 1820 list advertising …

  • St Teilo’s Church St Fagans Cardiff New Organ in Tudor Style

    The new organ for St Teilo’s church at St Fagans Cardiff This organ was made for the project directed by Professor John Harper from Bangor University researching “The experience of worship in late medieval cathedral and parish church”, at the great medieval cathedral church at Salisbury, and the reconstructed parish church of St Teilo’s in …

  • Leatherhead, St Mary and St Nicholas, Reconstruction of 1766 Thomas Parker Organ

    In 1989 there was a fire at Leatherhead parish church which was for this restoration project providential. It rendered the Victorian organ unusable, but did not touch the parts of the 1766 organ, which had been re-used, and somewhat altered by Walker in 1873. The Georgian parts were identified and stored under the supervision of …

  • 17th century style New Chamber Organ for Private Collection

    This is a 5 stop organ, with a single manual with pedal pulldowns. It is for the performance of 17th century music. The sound and some of the mechanical details are based on the organs at Wollaton Hall near Nottingham (ca1690), and at St Lawrence Whitchurch, Little Stanmore in Middlesex (1716). These organs were probably …

  • St Botolph, Aldgate London Restoration of the 1704 Renatus Harris Organ

    This organ was restored in 2005-6.  It can be argued that it is England’s oldest surviving church organ.  Although there are older pipes and cases, this is the oldest collection of pipes in their original positions on their original wind chests.  It looks as if the organ dates from shortly before 1704-5, when Renatus Harris …

  • Dutch ca1775 Chamber Organ for a Private Collection

    The organ was made in around 1775, perhaps by Hendrik Anthonie Meyer (1744-1812), a German who worked in Amsterdam. It was purchased by Alan Rubin for his collection in 2004. The previous owners purchased it in 1910. It is listed as catalogue number 383 in Jan Gierveld’s Het Nederlandse Huisorgel in de 17de en 18de …

  • Great Budworth, Cheshire, St Mary and All Saints, Restoration of the 1839 Samuel Renn organ

    This organ is a remarkable survival, since so many of Samuel Renn’s organs has been wholly or partially destroyed, much of it in recent years. An account of his work can be read in Michael Sayer’s Samuel Renn, English Organ Builder (London 1974) and Industrialized Organ-Building – a Pioneer (in Organ Yearbook vol VII 1976). …

  • Ponsonby Baptist Church New Zealand Restoration of 1779 Avery Chamber Organ

    The organ was made in London, England, by John Avery, in 1779. He was living in John Street (now more or less Rathbone Place) off Tottenham Court Road in 1787. The organ’s early history is not known, until it was acquired by Bishop Selwyn of Auckland in 1859 and installed in old St. Paul’s Church …

  • Santiago de Compostela, Convent of Santa Clara, Restoration of the ca1700/1865 organ in the chapel

    The organ dates from the building of the new church, completed in 1702. Although the church is large, based on a Greek cross with small dome, and with a considerable acoustic, the organ stands in the nun’s choir, a much smaller room with a grilled opening to the church. It was made in 1709 by …

  • Harm Vellguth New Consort organ in 17th english style

    This organ was made for playing with viols and viols consort. It is based on the organ made for Sir George Shirley in about 1630, for his house at Staunton Harold in Leicestershire, where he also employed the young William Lawes, who compiled the Shirley part books for the household’s viol playing. Most of the …

  • St James, Bermondsey, South East London, Restoration of the 1829 Bishop Organ

    Built in 1829 by James Bishop, this was one of the largest organs in the country, in one of the largest new churches, and for a long time had the most complete Pedal organ, as well as other innovations either unique or most unusual. It had lain partly dismantled for the last 50 years, but …

  • Wetheringsett Organ New Organ in Tudor Style

    The new organ is based on the soundboard found in recent years at Wetheringsett in Suffolk (hence the name). It was discovered during alterations to a farmhouse, and may have been a dairy door. According to tree-ring dating the tree of which the original soundboard was made (from Baltic oak) cannot have been cut down …

  • Wingfield Organ New Organ in Tudor Style

    The new organ is based on a soundboard found at Wingfield church in Suffolk (hence the name). The surviving fragment cannot be dated accurately. There is as yet no possibility of tree-ring dating. It has sliders, and the first reference to stops in an English organ is at Westerham in Kent in 1511/12, where the …

  • St Endellion Cornwall New Church Organ

    This organ is based on early 18th century English organs, mainly the Father Smith organ at St Mary Finedon in Northamptonshire and the Gerard Smith organ at St Lawrence Whitchurch in Middlesex. Couplers: Swell to Great Swell to Pedals Great to Pedals Manual compass: C – g³. Pedal compass: C – f¹ The pitch is …

  • Handel House Museum London New Chamber Organ

    The organ was made for the Handel House Trust, which in 2001 opened a museum in the house where Handel lived for the last 36 years of his life: 25 Brook Street in Westminster. It lives in the church of St George’s Hanover Square, Handel’s parish church and the home of the London Handel Festival. …

  • Olpe-Rehringhausen St Niklaus in Westphalia Germany new church organ in 1997

    The church is Roman Catholic and stands in the hills of the Sauerland in a village of about 360 people. It is a small church, but with a good acoustic, built at the turn of the 20th century in traditional Gothic style with three Rhenish vaults.

  • National Museum of Wales Cardiff Restoration of 1774/1864 Williams Wynn Organ

    The organ was made by Snetzler (S) in 1774 for Sir Watkin Williams Wynn, “the Welsh Maecenas” for his London house at 20, St James’s Square. It was already somewhat altered by Samuel Green (G) in 1783. The organ was moved to the Williams Wynn country seat at Wynnstay Hall near Ruabon in 1863, and …

  • St Helen Bishopsgate, London Restoration of 1743 Griffin Organ/New organ

    The church was affected by two IRA bomb blasts, which brought about the restoration of the church. The west gallery was restored, with the organ removed from the east end to its original position. This organ is a combination of restoration, reconstruction and new organ. Of the 1743 Griffin organ the Great/Choir chest survived with …

  • Yonago Japan St Nicholas Anglican Church New Church Organ

    The church was brand new, the third Anglican church to be built in Yonago. This is a new organ based on the organs of Richard Bridge at Christ Church Spitalfields (1735) and St Leonard Shoreditch (1756) in London. The case is based loosely on the 1716 organ case at St Lawrence Whitchurch. The organ project …

  • South Westoe Co Durham St Michael and All Angels New Church Organ

    A new organ based mainly on the organs of Richard Bridge (ca1735-1756). Some of the Chair organ is based on the Thomas Dallam organs of ca1680 at Lanvellec and Guimiliau in Britanny. The Cromhorn and Vox Humana are based on the ca1695 reeds at Adlington Hall in Cheshire, the resonators on the reeds at Guilimiau …

  • Black Forest Organ Clock ca1825 Restoration

    The clock was sold by Peter Schwerer, German Clock Maker at 100 High Petergate, near Bootham Bar, York, in about 1825. The organ has one barrel with 8 tunes, mostly dances, but also the Easter Hymn (three lines only). Restored in 1990 by Dominic Gwynn (organ) and Alan Bennett (clock)

  • Toggenburger House Organ Restoration of 1786 Loosser Organ

    The organ was restored by Edward Bennett in 1988 for The National music Museum, Vermillion, South Dakota, USA. At that time the organ belonged to Julian Berkeley. He was given it by Francis Lloyd, who inherited it from his mother, Lady Berkeley, who kept it in her house in Assisi in Italy, in a music …